30 must-know mnemonics
Author: Clark Tos
Some information is hard to remember unless you use a few tricks. Discover the 30 mnemonics that can help you on a daily basis.
Mnemonic devices to remember information related to culture
A woman memorizing mnemonics Photo credit: SementsovaLesia
The mnemonic is a method used to facilitate memorization . It also helps train memory. To be effective, it is based on several mnemonic means:
- The rhyme that makes it easy to retain information.
- Acronyms for remembering long pieces of information.
- The organization and breakdown of data to facilitate memorization.
- The LOCI method of designating a place or an object to remember information.
- Visual associations and images very useful for a learning child.
All of these techniques can be used to help the brain to remember lessons or things more easily.
To see more clearly, here is a list of mnemonics allowing you to memorize cultural information in order:
- For a child who wishes to learn by heart the names of the 7 dwarfs in Snow White, the following sequences of words should be remembered: “To Play Almost Alone You Become Grumpy. » Each capitalized letter designates the 7 dwarves in a specific order: Sneeze, Happy, Teacher, Dopey, Shy, Sleepy, Grumpy.
- A simple mnemonic allows you to remember the 7 wonders of the world: Mostapha! I'm waiting for the copy! Breaking down MOSTAPHA, you have Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, Statue of Zeus, and Lighthouse of Alexandria. With the rest you will remember the Hanging Garden, Temple of Artemis, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Pyramids of Egypt.
- Two mnemonic words are enough to learn the 7 deadly sins: THIS GALOP. Each letter allows us to remember the sins without changing the order: anger, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, pride and laziness.
- Some people find it difficult to differentiate Dupond and Dupont in Tintin. Among the most effective methods, just look at their mustache. For Dupond, it falls and forms a D while for Dupont, it looks more like a T.
Mnemonic methods for memorizing geographic information
Children memorizing the names of the continents on earth Photo credit: Wavebreakmedia
Most of the time, mnemonics to memorize geographical data are based on contraction and sentences . Here are some examples:
- The imperative ' Love Isabella » makes it possible to effectively keep memory French neighboring countries. We must understand 'Aime' in the sense of 'M' which indicates Monaco. For the rest, you have I for Italy, S for Switzerland, A for Andorra, B for Belgium, E for Spain, L for Luxembourg and A for Germany.
- Another contraction, the word Holmes allows you to memorize the list of the great lakes of North America. It refers to Huron, Ontario, St Laurent, Michigan, Erie and Superior. This method is effective for children in learning or who wish to grow.
- For a child, it is often difficult to tell the difference between the tropics and the poles, even during lessons. In class, children especially have a hard time figuring out which ones are up and which are down. To easily memorize this information, keep in mind that the heaviest are generally at the bottom, because they sink. Such is the case with Capricorn and Antarctica.
- Another mnemonic used in the field of geography is the word ' So '. This contraction makes it possible to keep in mind the rivers of Russia which are Volga, Ob, Lenisei, Lena and Amur.
- « Handsome Boy Resident Salvador Cleans and Waxes Floors is a mnemonic for memorizing the countries of Central America. From North to South, you have Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.
Mnemonic methods to retain information related to the story
Children learning about history Photo credit: monkeybusinessimages
In the classroom, history is a subject made up of a large amount of information that is difficult to remember. Events are often attached to dates and numbers, making it difficult for some children or students to memorize them. Fortunately, there are phrases and mnemonic codes allowing the brain to remember lessons. Here are some examples:
- The summons « Crowned Charlemagne ! He went to Rome . allows you to memorize the coronation of Charlemagne in Rome in the year 800. You will find all these elements in this sentence. For example, 'lui s'en' suggests 800.
- The phrase 'L' Giving her Blue Kimono to three kids, she was able to hold Putin helps to remember the leaders of the USSR. The letters at the beginning of each word give a clue about the person: Lenin, Stalin, Khrushchev B, etc.
- The phrases of type « On a heather root “, “a crow drinks water from the Molière fountain” facilitate the memorization of French authors.
- Another mnemonic method widely used to memorize a list of names is concatenation. It is about taking and assembling the beginnings of each noun. For example, you can retain the names of the French presidents of the Third Republic with 'Thimagré Carcafauloufa Poindemidoudoule'. With Thimagré, you have Thiers, Mac-Mahon and Grévy. Carcafauloufa suggests Carnot, Casimir-Perrier, Faure, Loubet and Fallières. With the last code, you remember the following names: Poincaré, Deschanel, Millerand, Doumergue, Doumer and Lebrun.
- Do you want to learn the names of the main Roman gods by heart? Remember this sentence and each beginning of a word will give you a clue: “Young merry widow is looking for an old baron, even sick, in order to live better. With J you have Juno and V at Venus and so on.
Practical mnemonic in everyday life: spelling, orientation, decoration
Notebook where it is marked spelling Photo credit: Richard Villalonundefined undefined
There are many mnemonics that are very useful in everyday life:
- In spelling , it is sometimes difficult to memorize certain words, especially having two successive consonants. Mnemonics can help you. For example, remember that the word 'call' is written with two 'p' because it implies a conversation between two people.
- Still about the spelling , there are many mnemonic phrases to help you remember them. For example, there is the sentence 'Come my corner, my jewel, my toy, on my knees, and throw stones at these owls full of lice'. It allows you to learn that words ending with 'or' take an 'x' instead of an 's' in the plural.
- Many people often confuse terms like port and starboard. Among the best known methods to distinguish them, take the second letter of each word. With port, you have 'a' which is the second letter from 'left'. With starboard you get 'r' which is also on 'right'.
- In the decoration , a mnemonic method makes it possible to draw up a table correctly. In France, there are so many rules that it is sometimes difficult to memorize the location of the fork or the knife. For your memory, remember the alphabet. You will find that C is near D and F is near G. C and D tell you knife right and F and G tell you fork left.
- For the chair decoration , the mnemonic 'The snake comes out of the hole goes around the tree and goes back into the hole' indicates the method for tying a knot.
- In French, ' but where is ornicar is the best-known mnemonic. It helps memorize coordinating conjunctions.
- With 'The bird with the crossed S and its Y branch' children can easily learn the vowels.
- The way to remember to move the clock forward or backward is to remember that 'advance' and 'summer' begin with a vowel. On the other hand, 'retreat' and 'winter' begin with a consonant.
- Slicing is the effective mnemonic method for remembering a bank account number. This consists of cutting the number into batches of 5 digits. You must not exceed 7, because the photographic memory retains only 7 elements in general.
Useful mnemonic for storing technical data
A woman memorizing chemical formulas Photo credit: ismagilov
The use of mnemonics is common in the world of science and medicine . The notions are often technical and difficult to memorize.
Here is a list of the most used mnemonics:
- « Here I am, uncle marcel, I'm a professional swimmer is a phrase used to remember the order of the planets.
- Another phase for remembering the names of the planets is “ Here I am all wet, I was following a cloud '. Each beginning of a word makes it possible to remember Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- In mathematics, it is often difficult for a child to memorize the table of 9. The easiest method is to place both hands on the table. Then you have to lower the 3 th or the 4 th left hand finger if you want to calculate 3x9 or 4x9. If you look closely, you get 27 or 36.
- In medicine, specifically in rheumatism, ' Theo has calcium lithiasis suggests theophylline, Vitamin D, Lithium, thiazide and calcium.
- Also in medicine, DVD may indicate Pain, Vasomotor and Deformity.
- Each letter of ENDOCARDITE makes it possible to memorize the possible complications: embolism, neuro, septal destruction, OAP, etc.
- In the cancer field, KLOPP refers to meta K PPS, lymphoma, renal osteodystrophy, paget and pott.